Friday, November 10, 2006

Before the kids come or when they do...

I am single. That just means that I am not married. I do, however, have a wonderful boyfriend that I absolutely adore that I know I want to marry and grow old and wrinkly with.

With that in mind, I want to let you know what I have learned from two friends who are both in their 40's. One is not married and the other, freshly divorced with three children (ages: 5, 12, and 16). I had lunch with them last weekend and tid-bits of our conversation popped into my young fresh mind today. We talked about remembering to do things that makes us happy, to take the time and spend it on what we truly enjoy. Coming from the mother of three, it meant that I need to enjoy the free time that I have NOW because once the kids come, I will not have it anymore. My friend who is not married agreed. However, she added that even when you do have kids, you have got to make some time for yourself because you never want to grow resentful towards your kids or husband. To me, that meant that when we have kids, I should still try to go to yoga once a week, have dinner with my girlfriends or go shopping by myself every once in a while. It is not selfish. It is simply a way to stay sane. By doing that, I will be a better wife and mother to my family.

So, today, on my day off, I went to Starbucks and spent $5.10 on a tall Eggnog Latte (seasonal) and their Pumkin Creamcheese Muffin. Oh, and for you gardeners, Starbucks will give you their coffee grounds by the bagful so you can maintain your greenthumb. So, I took a bag. I do not have a garden but my boyfriend does.

After Starbucks, I went to Marshalls to peruse but ended up with a great pair of black pumps (I like to call them Barbie shoes) for $29.99 and a great fleece that was originally $75 for only $10 (hey, it gets chilly at night even in southern California)! What a steal. Yeah, I would say I had a relaxing morning. What is next on my schedule for today?

1 comment:

Chee Chee Chai said...

I so agree with you! Especially when we have the kind of guys that we do, that necessarily don't indulge in yoga or appreciate Starbucks eggnog latte or just chilling with friends, it can cause us to feel selfish when we do. I'm glad you took today for you and did things that make you happy. You deserve it:) Can't wait to see you tomorrow!!!!