Monday, June 16, 2008

Hiking

I took my first real hike in Hawai'i on the island of Kaua'i. It took 7 hours (that's back and forth). Five years later and having moved to California and meeting my boyfriend, my list of hikes grew longer and even higher! To me, hiking is a good way to get exercise, channeling energy into positive thoughts, and appreciating nature. However, I think I fail to do the last two there. I find myself thinking of all sorts of things and ignoring most of the breathtaking nature around me, which I think is quite sad. On my last hike, while trudging along on the trail, I caught myself thinking of astrology (been reading up on it), work, life, stuff, how my feet are feeling, how I can't wait to head back and be home resting my body. What I really should be thinking about is all that's around me and live in the moment. But my friends, it is way harder than it sounds, to me at least. Well, at least I take lots of pictures and can retrospectively appreciate it, but even still, I know in my heart it is not the same.

No comments: