Sunday, June 08, 2008

"Root, root, root, for the home team..."

NBA finals are on. Celtics vs. Lakers. Celts have won 2 out of the 7 games so far. Go Celtics! Can they win and add another championship banner to their already record breaking collection?

If you're from Connecticut, you don't have a professional home team to root for. Unless, you're still a Whaler fan and now they are no more. They didn't win any championships so the paraphernalia probably isn't worth anything right now. Ha! Anyway, that leaves the contiguous states of NY and MA to choose from. I chose the latter. I spent 6 years living in Boston so I've got a little place for them in my heart, you know? But if you talk to someone originally from Boston who is a hardcore fan (ie. Red Sox, Celtics), do not root against them in their face while you're at a game, unless you're ready for a fight. Seriously.

Now that I live in Southern California, I notice the locals here like their home team, but don't act like they REALLY like their home team. We went an Angels game once, and everyone is super nice and friendly, polite and the stadium is really clean and there aren't any super drunk obnoxious people screaming, etc. If you're in the bleachers at Fenway Park, you get the opposite. Fans are friggin' screaming (with their oh so refined accent), drunk off their asses, and if the Red Sox wins a really important game (let's say against the Yankees), some fans cannot control their damn selves! They start running the streets, jumping on cars, vandalizing crap, making noises all night at the bars until the sun comes up. If it's a victory at home for the Angels, everyone lines up calmly and walks to their car, drives and lines up in an organized fashion and leaves quietly...as if it were a practice fire drill! That's kinda of nice, too, though.

Nevertheless, I like being a Boston fan. I'll wear my Red Sox hat and t-shirt proudly to any baseball game (without the drunkardness and loud obnoxious comments). I usually watch games only if they're involved. Otherwise, I don't pay attention to a thing that's going on in the sports world. I know nothing about stats.

Can't wait to watch game 3 on Tuesday! Go Celtics!
FYI, that t-shirt is available on the Celtics website. Pretty ballsy, huh? The Laker website has nothing like that. See what I mean? Don't mess with a Boston fan.

No comments: